General

Please search for existing ideas before posting a new idea.

• or
  1. Read Receipts: Implement a visual indication for messages if and when they have been read by other users of the channel

Sometimes one's wondering if a post has already been read by other users. I could image that a member list of the channel pops up when one is selecting the read status from the particular post menu ("[..]").
    In private chats, a sinple check sign (similar to whatsapp) could signalize if a message had beend read by your counterpart.

719 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    34 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Read receipts are not currently planned, but the feature is under consideration. Read receipts raise concerns about privacy, needing consideration of config settings, end user settings, and appropriate defaults to ensure we can create a good user experience whether Admins or users prefer to enable this feature or not. In addition, since read receipts involve heavy effort in testing and maintenance, we have not prioritized the investigation of this feature over our current initiatives. However, the feature is included in our regular roadmap planning process and we certainly appreciate the upvotes on the feature request to guide us in that process.

2. marking posts as read on viewing, not all in channel at once

For example I have off-topic channel with 1000 unread messages. I want to read them all, but it takes 15 minutes or more. I start reading, read about 200 messages, but at that time I receive very important direct message, or mention in other channel. I switch to that channel, do what I need, but when I come back to off-topic channel, i have all messages marked as read. moreover - I instantly jump to the end of a channel, not to place where i stop reading.

Also even if channel is opened, but i am reading something…

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Un-push notifications after I actively read all messages

When I read actively read all messages on a device, the pushed notifications to my other devices should be "un-pushed", meaning they disappear from Android's notification bar and the favicon turns from red to black, for instance.

Since https://mattermost.uservoice.com/forums/306457-general/suggestions/13834386-option-to-push-notify-to-mobile-even-when-logged-i got implemented (which asked for an option but got implemented as the only possible behavior), each notification must be marked as read on each device separately, which is really time-wasting and distracting.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Mattermost - Read Only channel

For the moment, when this option "ExperimentalTownSquareIsReadOnly" is set to true, all the Town Square channels of all the teams become read-only.

It will great to set up this option not globally, but at the team level and not only on the "Town Square" channel but on any public channel.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Read-only for external clients

It would be great to send secure links of an private channel to a client for status updates.

What i want to do is:
    I want to start a new channel and write status updates or some information about the progress of an project.
    External clients should be able to view this channel only and see what has been posted und get current state if they want.
    But they should not be forced to register a new account. (Read/view only).

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add 'Mark Read' option in right click of Channel(or Group) to clear notification icon

I suggest to have 'Mark read' option for any Channel in Mattermost.

There may have few groups which are integrated to get notification of JIRA updates or Jenkins to build status. Loads of messages are received there and one will see notification icon until one open that channel.

It will be great if Mattermost provides 'Mark Read' kind of function to clear particular channel notifications without opening channel chat.

I would recommend having this as a right-click option of a channel.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mattermost App - Windows, Mac and Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Mark Channel as "Read Only" so it remains searchable but nothing new can be posted

I often find myself searching old mattermost channels for discussion items, but many of the channels are no longer in use due to a project ending or a team getting re-org'd.

It would be cool to have a Read Only or Inactive or Abandoned mode for those channels so I can still search for previous discussions, but they won't get written to anymore.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add write policy for channels and private groups

This feature is essentially a "force mute" in a meeting room, when you want to enable some people to listen in, but not to speak.

• Add an option to restrict the ability to post to a channel or private group (requires channel header menu redesign--the menu is over the UX guideline of 5-7 options per menu)

• Add the ability to define users who have the ability to post, which would by default include Team Admins. We don't currently have UX for a channel owner or channel creator, but in future Enterprise releases this may be added

• Include UX so that…
    343 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    17 comments  ·  Mattermost Enterprise Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make log file reading easier

The timestamp within the log is now Unix Timestamp. This makes it really hard to find the right logs when there is a issue.

Please implement a option to change to a human readable time. I suggest the UTC timestamp. Dateformat can be fix of should better be looking for the server values.

Now:
    {"level":"debug","ts":1540975612.3137412,"caller":"web/handlers.go:50","msg":"POST - /api/v4/users/status/ids"}

Better:
    {"level":"debug","ts":10/31/2018 8:46am,"caller":"web/handlers.go:50","msg":"POST - /api/v4/users/status/ids"}

Optimal (i am in europe):
    {"level":"debug","ts":31.10.2018 8:46,"caller":"web/handlers.go:50","msg":"POST - /api/v4/users/status/ids"}

Best regards

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mattermost Enterprise Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Option in a channel: force view pinned posts

In some channels some messages are ‘must read’...
    An option ‘I have read this one’ would be great then.
    It would also be nice to be able to reorder the pinned posts.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Read-only channels but with threads allowed

Hello,

It would be nice to have an ability to restrict messages in the channel but allow messages in the threads for the channel.

So that channel looks like a forum. Only answers to the posts are allowed.

Github issue: https://github.com/mattermost/mattermost-server/issues/14453

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Copied sheet (excel, google sheet) data and paste on mattermost format Markdown table

Paste read data type and apply markdown by default like google sheet, office excel format to markdown

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mattermost App - Windows, Mac and Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Prevent non-admin users from posting and editing to channel

The use case is to provide information to users, for example, release notes, status updates, etc. In order to keep the channel relevant and to avoid clutter, non-admin users have read-only access.

This feature allows a team to create "reference" channels.

1. team admins: create, read, update, delete

2. non-admin users: read-only

This idea is similar to, and currently under review for Enterprise Edition:

https://mattermost.uservoice.com/forums/306457-general/suggestions/12874797-add-write-policy-for-channels-and-private-groups#comments

This idea is related to:

https://mattermost.uservoice.com/forums/306457-general/suggestions/11205615-different-user-roles-to-configure

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Configure left menu to sort channels according to read/unread messages

I would like to have my channel sorted, and having these with unread messages on top.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mattermost Enterprise Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add a text display feature to off/on the auto-collapsed(Show More Link)

“If it includes more than 300 characters or more than 5 line breaks, the message will be collapsed and a “Show More” link will be added to expand the message.”

This Message Attachments rule is not good for quick reading.You must click the "Show More" link again and agian to read a lot of long texts.So would you mind adding a feature to off/on This?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. have system tray icon indicate when not logged in

The system tray icon is white when I am caught up on reading. It turns amber or red when I have messages to read or direct messages. But it was white all morning. I was curious why everyone was so quiet, but didn't look. Then I went to direct message someone and saw I wasn't even logged in.

Feature suggestion: system tray icon indicate when not logged in.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 206 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. End-to-end (e2e) encryption support

This would require major architectural changes for the Mattermost server, but adding some use cases to gather feedback from the community.

Server admins wouldn't be able to read the content of conversations because they don't hold the keys to decrypt, which means users wouldn't have to worry about
    - Server admins spying on their private conversations
    - Governments subpoening server admins into handing over conversations
    - Hackers taking control of the server being able to read the conversations

260 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Please add a way to say I'm not available right now to chat -

Please add a way to say I'm not available right now to chat - for those of us who share our screens throughout the day with others (clients), I don't want messages popping up for so clients can read them. Closing the program doesn't stop the messages from popping up or give us a way to move the pop up to another monitor - urggh ! can't believe what the client just read... Give us a way to show 'I'm Busy right now' so the pop ups stop PLEASE

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base