Skip to content

General

Please search for existing ideas before posting a new idea.

• or

53 results found

1. Make log file reading easier

The timestamp within the log is now Unix Timestamp. This makes it really hard to find the right logs when there is a issue.

Please implement a option to change to a human readable time. I suggest the UTC timestamp. Dateformat can be fix of should better be looking for the server values.

Now:
    {"level":"debug","ts":1540975612.3137412,"caller":"web/handlers.go:50","msg":"POST - /api/v4/users/status/ids"}

Better:
    {"level":"debug","ts":10/31/2018 8:46am,"caller":"web/handlers.go:50","msg":"POST - /api/v4/users/status/ids"}

Optimal (i am in europe):
    {"level":"debug","ts":31.10.2018 8:46,"caller":"web/handlers.go:50","msg":"POST - /api/v4/users/status/ids"}

Best regards

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. marking posts as read on viewing, not all in channel at once

For example I have off-topic channel with 1000 unread messages. I want to read them all, but it takes 15 minutes or more. I start reading, read about 200 messages, but at that time I receive very important direct message, or mention in other channel. I switch to that channel, do what I need, but when I come back to off-topic channel, i have all messages marked as read. moreover - I instantly jump to the end of a channel, not to place where i stop reading.

Also even if channel is opened, but i am reading something…

74 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Make it easier to direct message users from channel

When reading a channel, it's sometimes desirable to direct message a user after reading a message they posted. Right now you have to either find their name on the message list or use the upcoming /msg command. There seems to be a missed opportunity for messaging them from their username though. Clicking on their name opens a popover, but you can't actually send a message from it. I'd propose either double clicking their name opens a DM or putting a link to open a DM in the popover. I can implement this, just want to ask for guidance from a…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Read Receipts: Implement a visual indication for messages if and when they have been read by other users of the channel

Sometimes one's wondering if a post has already been read by other users. I could image that a member list of the channel pops up when one is selecting the read status from the particular post menu ("[..]").
    In private chats, a sinple check sign (similar to whatsapp) could signalize if a message had beend read by your counterpart.

1,189 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Keep red-dot-notifications in tray when receiving a message with MM-client in background

Found behavior (Windows 10): MM-client is in the background (e.g. when reading stuff in another window) and I receive a direct message, then the red dot in the tray appears just to disappear directly after, IF the last opened channel was the one where I got the message. Somehow the app doesn't recognize that it is not in focus and thinks the message has been read.
    Due to this we missed some communication as we "lose" red circles indicating new messages. Tried several notification-configurations but no luck so far.
    Thanks a lot for helpful ideas or a fix!

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Un-push notifications after I actively read all messages

When I read actively read all messages on a device, the pushed notifications to my other devices should be "un-pushed", meaning they disappear from Android's notification bar and the favicon turns from red to black, for instance.

Since https://mattermost.uservoice.com/forums/306457-general/suggestions/13834386-option-to-push-notify-to-mobile-even-when-logged-i got implemented (which asked for an option but got implemented as the only possible behavior), each notification must be marked as read on each device separately, which is really time-wasting and distracting.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Mattermost - Read Only channel

For the moment, when this option "ExperimentalTownSquareIsReadOnly" is set to true, all the Town Square channels of all the teams become read-only.

It will great to set up this option not globally, but at the team level and not only on the "Town Square" channel but on any public channel.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Read-only channels but with threads allowed

Hello,

It would be nice to have an ability to restrict messages in the channel but allow messages in the threads for the channel.

So that channel looks like a forum. Only answers to the posts are allowed.

Github issue: https://github.com/mattermost/mattermost-server/issues/14453

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Provide a "Mark read" choice in mobile push notifications

A "Mark read" choice in push notifications about new messages, as seen in many IM apps, would be handy in Mattermost Mobile too. Currently the message can only be marked read by tapping the message to open the app (which is slow).

https://github.com/mattermost/mattermost-mobile/issues/7722

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Mark Channel as "Read Only" so it remains searchable but nothing new can be posted

I often find myself searching old mattermost channels for discussion items, but many of the channels are no longer in use due to a project ending or a team getting re-org'd.

It would be cool to have a Read Only or Inactive or Abandoned mode for those channels so I can still search for previous discussions, but they won't get written to anymore.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Read-only for external clients

It would be great to send secure links of an private channel to a client for status updates.

What i want to do is:
    I want to start a new channel and write status updates or some information about the progress of an project.
    External clients should be able to view this channel only and see what has been posted und get current state if they want.
    But they should not be forced to register a new account. (Read/view only).

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. End-to-end (e2e) encryption support

This would require major architectural changes for the Mattermost server, but adding some use cases to gather feedback from the community.

Server admins wouldn't be able to read the content of conversations because they don't hold the keys to decrypt, which means users wouldn't have to worry about
    - Server admins spying on their private conversations
    - Governments subpoening server admins into handing over conversations
    - Hackers taking control of the server being able to read the conversations

353 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Data Protection from new users

As an administrator, I would like to be able to add new users that cannot read what had been written before they joined.

This somewhat special request has the purpose to ensure privacy to users that already are subscribed. It should be asserted that their statements stay confidential among the scope of users that could read them when they wrote it.

I guess that's not possible yet, is it?

100 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. EE: Single-Channel Guests for non-team members

For IT policy compliance, offer the ability to invite non-team members users to Mattermost as "single-channel guests" to have access to read and write to one channel and direct message any other users in that channel.

Potential scenarios include opening discussions with non-team members, including customers, vendors, partners and interview candidates.

681 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Prevent non-admin users from posting and editing to channel

The use case is to provide information to users, for example, release notes, status updates, etc. In order to keep the channel relevant and to avoid clutter, non-admin users have read-only access.

This feature allows a team to create "reference" channels.

1. team admins: create, read, update, delete
    2. non-admin users: read-only

This idea is similar to, and currently under review for Enterprise Edition:

https://mattermost.uservoice.com/forums/306457-general/suggestions/12874797-add-write-policy-for-channels-and-private-groups#comments

This idea is related to:

https://mattermost.uservoice.com/forums/306457-general/suggestions/11205615-different-user-roles-to-configure

48 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Use a different color thread bar for different threads

When there are multiple threads going on in the same channel, all lines are prefixed by a grey vertical bar. The only way to separate the threads is to read the reference message. If the vertical bars had different colors (randomly selected), it would be easy to at a glance see which messages belongs to which threads.

164 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. data retention/purge in open source edition

I occasionally check in, to see, if mattermost is usable, now.

Instead, you made it worse.

You deleted the original thread from years ago:
    https://mattermost.uservoice.com/forums/306457-general/suggestions/36989788-make-data-retention-and-prune-reset-clear-availabl

https://web.archive.org/web/20201022175434/https://mattermost.uservoice.com/forums/306457-general/suggestions/36989788-make-data-retention-and-prune-reset-clear-availabl

This is still wide open:
    https://mattermost.uservoice.com/forums/306457/suggestions/15357861

It would be nice to propose switching to mattermost, but as it stands, it is still unusable.

There's clearly a need:
    https://mattermost.uservoice.com/forums/306457-general/suggestions/46891111-mmctl-command-to-clean-up-orphaned-files

Even though few people are aware this 'uservoice'.exists, many people have asked repeatedly over years.

I voted for the first time (couldn't bother signing up so far). But reading this post, this is at least from 2016. Seems you do not care for new users.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Provide an option to only show channels with unread messages

We have a Mattermost installation where I'm subscribed to 24 channels, most of which are fairly quiet. Except for the channels that are at the top and bottom of the list (of course). I'm continually scrolling up and down.

I'd like to have an option that hides channels that have no unread messages. Hiding all-read private groups and DMs would be a bonus.

91 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks Brian and others for suggesting this feature!

We are considering to add a setting to hide all read channels in the sidebar: https://mattermost.atlassian.net/browse/MM-7502

In the meantime, there are two features that can help your teams:
    1) Mattermost v4.7+ supports a setting to group all unread channels at the top. This makes it easier to find all your unreads. It must first be enabled by your System Admin: https://docs.mattermost.com/administration/config-settings.html#group-unread-channels-experimental
    2) Mattermost v4.9+ shows unread channels when using the channel switcher (CMD/CTRL+K)

19. make channel read-only for specific users (mute)

I'd like to have the ability to restrict users from writing in a channel without having to remove them altogether. Like muting them/making the channel read-only for them specifically.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. have system tray icon indicate when not logged in

The system tray icon is white when I am caught up on reading. It turns amber or red when I have messages to read or direct messages. But it was white all morning. I was curious why everyone was so quiet, but didn't look. Then I went to direct message someone and saw I wasn't even logged in.

Feature suggestion: system tray icon indicate when not logged in.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?