I suggest you ...

Read Receipts: Implement a visual indication for messages if and when they have been read by other users of the channel

Sometimes one's wondering if a post has already been read by other users. I could image that a member list of the channel pops up when one is selecting the read status from the particular post menu ("[..]").
In private chats, a sinple check sign (similar to whatsapp) could signalize if a message had beend read by your counterpart.

310 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
finius  shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The original idea has been made in 2016, a feature ticket was made in 2018 and it still hasn't been assigned to someone.
    Kinda pitty to be honest, lot's of people have asked for this and it still isn't here.
    with 294 votes for the post i think it's something people really want to see.

• Marius Boitan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly, I do not understand the true goal of Mattermost Inc. If the goal was to provide the community with a “state of art” collaborative tool, the implementation of features such as "Read Receipts" is a must, with top priority, there is no doubt about it.
    Why not implement it? It would not be difficult to activate sponsorship systems, transparent, serious (such as Indiegogo) that would allow you to make available the funds needed to develop what you need.
    The feeling is that all this is known but Mattermost Inc. has no intention of following this path.

• Andreas B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would really like to see such a feature. Should be an option to switch on and off in admin console.

• Florian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A plug-in that show you: read or not read of a message (like WhatsApp / WhatsApp-Web)
    read confirmation: Chat is open and the application is in the foreground

• Ronny Hanssen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For enterprise use this is **really** helpful. I know there are no algorithm that can really guarantee that a message has really been read, unless the user explicitly clicks on i.e. a checkbox, which could basically then just be a reaction icon. But, there should be an algorithm that is able to find out if the message has "most likely" been read or not. We were used to Flowdock, which seemed to do a pretty good job in this respect. We used this feature all the time back then, and it is sorely missed in Slack.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to see if the opponent reads the message what i sent in DirectMessage.
    If opponent read the direct message what i sent, the read sign is shown to me.
    If opponent reads the message what i sent, then i want to see read mark on DirectMessage.

• Kevin L. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our customers on Enterprise deployments are requesting this feature as well. Would really help with managers being able to see if subordinates got their message, etc.

• Warren Postma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Slack tells me when users are offline and not receiving their notifications (presumably notifications queued until beginning of business/work hours the next day), and allow me to break through if I want. Not sure I like the ability to hound people at all hours, but I would LIKE to know whether the user is PRESENT (say, has a web or desktop client window open).

• Kathrin Leuckel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very useful to see if the recipient as already seen a message.
    Especially if it's a personal message. And also for messages with a notification like @channel oder @somebody.

Maybe with an eye-symbol. Mouse-over on that symbol could show whom has seen the message.

• fjarlq commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature would raise privacy issues. Sometimes, users prefer to lurk and not reveal their presence or activity.

For example, in iOS the Messages > Send Read Receipts option is off by default.

Therefore, if this feature is implemented, I think it should come with privacy controls and reasonable defaults.

That said, I would not object to this feature being used by willing participants, of course!

• User404 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Highlight messages as uread if user haven't read them yet.
    Should look like message highlight (grey?) type.

Feedback and Knowledge Base