General

Please search for existing ideas before posting a new idea.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. End-to-end (e2e) encryption support

This would require major architectural changes for the Mattermost server, but adding some use cases to gather feedback from the community.

Server admins wouldn't be able to read the content of conversations because they don't hold the keys to decrypt, which means users wouldn't have to worry about
    - Server admins spying on their private conversations
    - Governments subpoening server admins into handing over conversations
    - Hackers taking control of the server being able to read the conversations

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Gitea OAuth2 Support

Support Gitea's OAuth2 provider as an authentication source.

Currently, the team edition only supports GitLab as an OAuth2 source. GitLab is pretty heavyweight and many people prefer other software for a variety of reasons.

Gitea (https://gitea.io/en-us/) is a really nice open source, community supported Git server. They recently added support for acting as an OAuth2 provider (see https://docs.gitea.io/en-us/oauth2-provider/ for documentation). It would be great if Mattermost would support Gitea as an OAuth2 provider.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support ip and mac text search

The docs explains that:

"IP addresses, for example 10.100.200.101, do not return results."
    (https://docs.mattermost.com/help/getting-started/searching.html#hashtags)

I would like to be able to search on ip-strings from my messages.

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Voice Messages Record and Play

The same way we can send messages, we should be able to send voice messages.

It should be as simple as click "add voice", record what you want, press send and it's made available on the server for others to listen.

It should be supported by browser and mobile client apps.

125 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Plugin hook for channel header, title and purpose change.

I would like to add a string to the header and purpose every time it is changed via a plugin, but this is currently not possible as there is no hook for channel metadata in the plugin API.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Configurable desktop notifications duration

Mattermost is intended to be team collaboration and messaging tool.
    It functions fine when working with channels which are similar to forums or IRC channels.

But when sending direct messages, the user experience is quite bad because desktop notifications disappear after 5 seconds and when user is concentrating to something else or is AFK he will miss the notification and doesn't know that someone is trying to reach him.

It would be great if there was a configuration option where user can choose how long the notification should be displayed.

This feature was already implemented in v3.4, but was removed…

91 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add a button to scroll all the way to first new message

When rejoining a conversation after many new messages have been posted, if you want to catch up on what you missed, you have to scroll up to the top, click the 'load more messages' button, scroll up to the top, click 'load more messages, ad nauseum, till eventually you reach a point where the "New Messages" line is no longer at the top, then scroll back down till you find the "New Messages" line again.

I think it would be very useful if there was a button (I would name it "load new messages") that appeared along with the 'load…

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow selecting and deleting multiple messages at once

Allow Channel Admins to be able to enter "select" or "edit" mode where checkboxes appear next to the messages.
    Admins would be able to select messages one by one or to select a range of messages by clicking the first one, holding Shift button and selecting the last one (like we've used from other software).

After selecting multiple messages, Admins would be able to delete them at once, or perform any other action that might be implemented during the development (move, archive, flag, something else).

This feature would make it a lot easier to delete whole bunches of off-topic messages…

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. member list

Member list on side of chat window w/ status indicator

Show a member list on the side of the chat window listing all the users that are in the current room, sorted by status and then name (so that logged out users are at the bottom).

This seems critical to communication .. who's in the room, who's online, who am I talking to, am I in the right room before typing @everyone, etc. At a glance. The little member button with drop down is insufficient especially in rooms with hundreds of people.

This is a repost, but the original is…

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make emoji replacement a separate option from the rest of post formatting

I consider it unacceptable that I can't choose to disable having my words replaced with emoji, without also having to give up on EVERY SINGLE post formatting feature. I want to be able to use post formatting, just NOT have any emoji appear without me explicitly choosing to insert them.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow plugins to add to the settings menu

Allow plugins to add to the settings menu, much like they can add to the System Console settings.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. implement threads in slack import tool

implement threads in slack import tool.

right now, threaded messages lose their context when imported. they just become normal messages and not replies to other messages.

https://github.com/mattermost/mattermost-server/issues/10203

https://api.slack.com/docs/message-threading

in slack, replies are standalone objects. it works via a `thread_ts` (thread timestamp) attribute. `thread_ts` refers to the `ts` (timestamp) of the parent post. if a post has `thread_ts` == `ts`, then it is the beginning of a thread.

possible approach:
    import all posts except for ones where `thread_ts` != `ts` (as these are replies to other posts). once that's done, go back and import the replies since their parents will have…

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Plugin hooks for access control and logout events

Add server plugin hooks for access control (permission change) and logout events to enable developers to create custom server plugins to integrate with internal auditing/intrusion detection tools.

https://developers.mattermost.com/extend/plugins/server/reference/#Hooks

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mattermost Enterprise Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow for tighter spacing in the sidebar

Currently tons of space is being wasted in the sidebar. Allow for tighter spacing of channel/user names so more of the list can be displayed at once.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. unlimited search results

for the default search backend (sql), search results are capped at 100!

you can verify this by loading jquery and doing:

$('.search-item__container').length;

you can see that paging isn't supported:

https://github.com/mattermost/mattermost-server/blob/master/app/post.go#L821

and the sql uses `LIMIT 100`:

https://github.com/mattermost/mattermost-server/blob/master/store/sqlstore/post_store.go#L834

i know this isn't an issue in enterprise because you're using elasticsearch, but please either bring elasticsearch to team edition or fix the default search backend. 100 results is sad :(

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow resizing and hiding of sidebar

It would be nice to be able to click/drag the sidebar (where channels are) and resize it/ hide it if desired.

Resizing it and having a channel name abbreviated with ... could make sense;

ex: Town Square once it starts getting cut off would become Tow... (depending on how small you make the sidebar). Then if you go over far enough it snaps into a hidden position

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Keyboard shortcut to change team

To have a single mattermost client connected to several teams is a great feature.

What i find missing is a keyboard shortcut to change team. The other shortcuts are very good and I usually can navigate through many channels and conversations with keyboard only, but when I see that have received in other team, I have to use the mouse.

Perhaps you could add tabs or something similar to the "quick channel switcher" (Ctrl-K) or have a new shortcut to switch teams (e.g. Ctrl-T).

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. More events support for Mattermost Webhooks

I would like to see more support for Jira events for Mattermost Webhooks, other than just; Issue: Created, Updated and Deleted

Especially would like to see events for Created, Updated and Deleted comments

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow different rooms to pop out of the main window in the fat client.

I would like to view multiple rooms in separate windows.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Show nicknames on each line while in compact mode

There should be an option to show the nickname on each line, when using compact mode. As a long-time IRC user, I expect to have the name repeated on each line.
    This is specially annoying when the "New Messages" marker shows, where it should ALWAYS show the name in the line following the marker.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 39 40
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base