I suggest you ...

Implement a Site Chat feature

Site-Chat: Add features that enable mattermost to be used by webmasters/developers to power live chat conversations in floating windows on their web sites.
This would significantly increase proliferation and adoption of Mattermost.
Ask any adopters to link back to Mattermost via a small logo/link.
Features needed would be:
1) Automate creation of a new user in Mattermost via APIs (or support SSO, as the users would already be authenticated on the 3rd party site)
2) Create a renderer to bring up the Private Message channel in Mattermost between the 2 or more users that the 3rd party site chooses, probably triggered by a user or site action e.g. a JS function on the web page of each user to join a chat given a unique session code/name. The chat should be displayed on web page in an iframe only when the chat creation is triggered.
3) Since you'd use the default Private Message channel it would be only the two or more users who communicate
4) Any chat user should be able to close his chat window and re-open it, as long as the chat session is still open.
5) Should be able to CLOSE the chat session at which point the chat is terminated, cannot be re-used, however its contents can still be viewed
6) Chat should be archived and be retrievable by the system to display on a web page to a user and to send by email to the users.
You could change the email notification logic to send a link back to the archive after the conversation.

778 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
kgb shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm trying Hybrid Chat but it doesn't want to connect with my mattermost server. The project looks a little abandoned :(

• Ricky Goswami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company has already implemented this feature (along with bot building) and looking for beta testers. DM me on Twitter: @shivam_sb for unlimited free access.

• Claude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

rocket.chat already implemented it. With office opening hours included.

• Huw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@kris +1 for open source - 100 kudos for already having a solution and holiding us to tweet ransom!

• Kris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is someone interested in a microservice that we use to enable customers to chat with us on mattermost from our website (https://www.ausdertechnik.de), pls send me a tweet @ausdertechnik
    Wenn enough people (+5) want's to have it, i will release it open source.

• Kris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that the prerequisite is completed, do we have a timeline on this? :)

• Joaquim Homrighausen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 (my vote added). For a pure JS implementation, would MM not also need some sort of client session handling to make a chat (semi) stateful? If you utilize a chat backend written in, say, PHP, you could obviously let it handle that part, but ...

• Ugo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 I would love to have such a feature.
    Ideally a plug-in for WordPress or such.

• Mark Carpenter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking over some of the other suggestions here, this request might help fulfill and nullify other menial low vote suggestions that pertain to conversation history and disposable sessions. This would also make mattermost more agile in the point to point chat area. The prereq JS Driver is nice and much appreciated, but for smaller organizations or individuals it can be hard to dedicate time and energy to writing a disposable direct message client. Not trying to push back on the mattermost team, just making a point. I really appreciate all that mattermost has become and everything the team does for the community.

• Crystale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that's the prerequisite component is developed, is that possible to work on this suggestion? :3

• Huw Davies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+3 here - This would be perfect for our company intranet where external cloud solutions aren't an option.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base