General

Please search for existing ideas before posting a new idea.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Auto/Periodic Refresh of Channel Header

Some users find themselves navigating through multiple channels quite frequently; while others find themselves "squatting". My team happens to be full of the those that squat largely because we use one channel per project, and one build per project. We'd like to include the build shield/badge images into the header (which is currently possible); however, since the channel header is never refreshed, individuals must rely solely on messages within the channel to bring the current build status to their attention.

Either adding an auto-refresh to all channel headers, or allowing administrators to selectively enable a channel header for periodic update/refresh…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. increase the 22 character limit on channel names.

Slack recently increased their character limitation on channel names. We would like Mattermost to increase the limit as well, as this has been a helpful feature since it was rolled out.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Ability to allow webhooks in private channels

Add a control to allow webhooks to work in private channels. A per webhook control would be best, but an all or nothing would be a good start.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. For file storage, add support for Google Cloud Storage

For users who don't want to or can't use Amazon S3 or local filesystem, adding support for Google Cloud Storage improves the "Cloud portability" of Mattermost, in addition to supporting more use cases.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Delete messages from a channel to clean it

Hello,

in the case a channel is used to receive notifications in a defined interval, messages are bound to multiply and to be too numerous.

So i think it should be interesting to delete the messages from a channel by the creator of this channel or by a webhook.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. System Admin should be able to force displaying of users real name (prename and surname! not nickname or username!)

In some environments it would be very usefull for the participants to be able to clearly identify a user. This is not necessarily the case, if nicknames (or even usernames) can be choosed by the users themself to be displayed in Mattermost channels.
    Therefore an administrator should be able to force the displayed name to display the prename and surname within the chat history window to minimize an users anonymity. This may be also related to a forced disclosure of prename and surname during the registration process.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Message automatic deletion a la snapchat

I'm trying Mattermost on a large organization as a professional communication tool surrounding but not overlapping formal previous communication tools that will remain (email, business specific tools, etc). To achive that, Mattermost messages are meant to be sended/received, read, and then expire and dissapear. We don't need a new static, searchable communication tool (yet on steroids), but a volatile one in order to support teams internal dynamics, but not to remain logged.
    I've thougth of a sort of bot checking times been read or time from post on every message and deleting on checking pre-defined conditions, but this would be…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Secure direct messages using TextSecure/Axolotl algorithms

Secure direct messages (and may be messages in private groups) using TextSecure/Axolotl algorithms. Unlike OTR protocol this will enable sending secure offline messages. I think TextSecure library could be used https://github.com/janimo/textsecure

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Video File Thumbnails

Just like we have tumbnails on pictures. helping us identify what we are looking for without having to open the preview tool.
    It would be great if we could have thumbnails on videos too.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add a one-click action to create a new snippet

Like Slack, being able to create a snippet by clicking a button and choose from a droplist the language would be far less painful than typing ``` (especially for non-qwerty keyboards).

It would be more intuitive especially for coders who discover the platform. Thanks!

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Visual effect to separate private chats from channels

I'd like to somehow tune the color scheme of the Mattermost to separate private chats from channels. First idea that I got my mind is that maybe there could be an option to set a different background color for private conversations?

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Modify Team Global Settings

be able to modify team global settings like send email notification, send mobile notification and future ones in the admin console.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Ability to customize the site favicon

When a user interacts with several Mattermost instances having always the same favicon can get highly confusing.

With versions pre-3.0 it was fairly easy to directly change the favicon files on the installation. It looks way more complex since the 3.0 came out as the file names are no longer predictable

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Assign User to incoming Webhooks

Hey,
    we run Mattermost and have some webhooks set up for Taiga ( https://taiga.io ). We created a User "Taiga-Bot" for our webhooks.

Right now the webhook is always assigned to the user that created given webhook.

I'd like to have an option to assign already created/new webhooks to any user as long that I'm logged in with a sysAdmin account.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Enable integration on all teams

We host multiple teams that need the same slash command. It would be pretty useful to be able to setup the integration once for all the teams.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow webhooks to trigger other webhooks posts

Outgoing webhooks are not triggered by other webhooks posts. For example if bota posts "hello" on Town Square and botb is typically triggered by "hello", it will not be triggered.

If this was implemented, the danger is creating cycles unintentionally, so there should be a way to avoid that.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Ability to change the order of channel groupings

There are several options now provided for changing the grouping and ordering of channels, but one is conspicuously missing IMO: the ability to change the ordering of the groupings.

In my use of MM, I have a small handful of favorite channels, and then a bunch of other channels, and then a small handful of direct messages. Most of my communication is in the favorite channels and the direct messages, but the former is at the very top and the latter is at the very bottom. It is annoying to have to scroll through the wasteland of all of my…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Prevent non-admin users to rename channels

I'm aware of your business model and I'm fine with an advanced permissions system in the paid edition. I'm also aware that you carefully thought through the channel management for basic users (see https://github.com/mattermost/platform/issues/1764) and think it's a good way of approaching things.

But please, consider removing the ability for every one to rename channels. This is not useful, doesn't really make sense and more importantly leaves the ability for anyone to ruin a setup (prank or sabotage). It also gives a feeling of totally uncontrolled environment for these users.

This small feature makes me question the entire usage…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Loop GIFs on mouseover

The GIF preview feature is great, but a channel full of looping gifs is visually distracting.

Discord's implementation of this functionality plays the GIF once, then repeats it on mouseover. This works really well and would be a nice polish to the current implementation.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Make search results accessible via a URL

It would be handy if search results were dereferencable via a URL.

Not all communications in our org are done via MatterMost (email is still popular) and I would like the ability to link to search results via a URL such as https://mattermost.org.com/search/search-term

This would enable me to refer to (ever-changing) search results from places external to MatterMost.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base