General

Please search for existing ideas before posting a new idea.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Automatic update for desktop client

The Mattermost desktop client should automatically check for updates and prompt the user to update. This feature is mandatory in today's security landscape, even for an Electron app.

Most of our users don't realize their desktop is many version out of date, with pending security fixes.

Bonus points for shipping builds via the Windows Store, macOS App Store, snapcraft, etc.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. Mattermost Bulk Export Single / Selected Team

While the current Bulk Export Tool - https://docs.mattermost.com/administration/bulk-export.html#running-the-bulk-export-command - allows backend admins to export all the teams based on the following command:

sudo ./mattermost export bulk /home/user/bulk_data.json --all-teams

It will be great to have the ability to export single / selected team to remove any "inactive" teams when moving / migrating systems around.

The current workaround of removing unwanted teams from the export file is not ideal for instances that have a large number of teams.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mattermost Enterprise Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Automatically join consecutive messages from the same person

For threading purposes it'd be great if consecutive messages from the same person (maybe within some time window like 10 minutes) would be counted as a single message.

We use mattermost for an internal support chat and very often we get stuff like

"Hi!"
    "I have this issue with the fronk, for customer Acme"
    <screenshot>
    "Could someone take a look?"

You can't reply to any of those messages without losing crucial information in the thread.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow selecting and deleting multiple messages at once

Allow Channel Admins to be able to enter "select" or "edit" mode where checkboxes appear next to the messages.
    Admins would be able to select messages one by one or to select a range of messages by clicking the first one, holding Shift button and selecting the last one (like we've used from other software).

After selecting multiple messages, Admins would be able to delete them at once, or perform any other action that might be implemented during the development (move, archive, flag, something else).

This feature would make it a lot easier to delete whole bunches of off-topic messages…

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add a button to scroll all the way to first new message

When rejoining a conversation after many new messages have been posted, if you want to catch up on what you missed, you have to scroll up to the top, click the 'load more messages' button, scroll up to the top, click 'load more messages, ad nauseum, till eventually you reach a point where the "New Messages" line is no longer at the top, then scroll back down till you find the "New Messages" line again.

I think it would be very useful if there was a button (I would name it "load new messages") that appeared along with the 'load…

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add ability to convert DMs into private channels

This is a really useful feature in Slack when you realize a topic deserves a dedicated channel, but want the DM history to become a part of it:

https://get.slack.help/hc/en-us/articles/217555437-Move-group-DMs-to-a-private-channel

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Support ip and mac text search

The docs explains that:

"IP addresses, for example 10.100.200.101, do not return results."
    (https://docs.mattermost.com/help/getting-started/searching.html#hashtags)

I would like to be able to search on ip-strings from my messages.

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Better Upgrade Notification for Old Desktop App

As of now, we do not have a clear warning message to indicate that a desktop client has compatibility issue (old version) with the latest Mattermost Server version.

it will be a good idea to have a message (pop up) that detects the desktop client version and remind them to upgrade it to the latest version if it is at least 1.x version behind the current one.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Plugin hook for channel header, title and purpose change.

I would like to add a string to the header and purpose every time it is changed via a plugin, but this is currently not possible as there is no hook for channel metadata in the plugin API.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Show the connection status instead of just providing an error message

When the client goes offline, which is common when laptops suspend or for corporate implementations where a VPN is required to access the server, the only feedback provided is that the server can't be reached and to get help. This is not only not an appropriate message in this case but the message stays on the screen even after the connection is re-established. Instead of showing a disconnection message I propose replacing it with a connection state indicator. Ideally when the client is offline it will obvious (like changing the color of the window) but I won't be able to…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Option to disable spell checking

Currently, spell checking is always enabled and cannot be disabled.

To some users, the red underlining is visually distracting. Also, the spell checker is currently unable to detect on-the-fly, in-sentence language switching, which is sometimes used in mixed-language teams or when discussing mixed-language subjects (like programming).

Therefore, I'd like to suggest adding an option to permanently disable spell checking - either in the configuration, or, in the input bar's context menu, where the spell check language is usually selected.

In the input bar it could look like this:

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/1374413/67931185-aa8ae500-fbc1-11e9-920e-8dab512119a0.png

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. System Administrator: Ability to Import Users via CSV / Excel File

While system administrator are limited to only have the following methods to create / import users:
    * Local users: mattermost user create CLI, direct invite, team invite link
    * External users: LDAP / AD / SAML

It will be good to have the ability to use CSV or Excel file to bulk import the users with specific formatting especially if the organization has a lot of customers and is not utilizing AD / LDAP / SSO.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow certificate errors to be permanently ignored

Having bad admins that make errors during the creation of certificates is silly. However, not being able to override their silly mistakes while they fail to address the issue over the course of months is aggravating. Although the issue will be eventually addressed, every time I open up mattermost, I get an invalid certificate error which I have to manually dismiss. I would really like to dismiss this permanently so that I don't have to deal with the extra 3 clicks every time I open up the application.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add turnkey support for Auth0 as an identity provider

As described at https://forum.mattermost.org/t/auth0-single-sign-on/6728

As a mattermost administrator, I want to be able to configure authentication with Auth0 as an identity provider. Auth0 supports a variety of standards, so it might be best to implement it as OpenID Connect.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Quote Reply In Threads

In a thread, because we cant create subthreads, the comment menu should have a new item called "quote reply".

"Quote Reply" should allow the user to add a new comment with reference from the comment he is replying.

A : I like cars.
    A : Wanna go for pizza? <-- "Quote Reply"
    B : I like Ferrari.
    B : "Wanna go for pizza?"

Yes. Pizza is a great idea.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. asana

Would be great to do an Asana plugin

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Enable automatic account deprovisioning for SAML

As per the documentation : https://docs.mattermost.com/deployment/sso-saml.html#saml-single-sign-on-e20 SAML currently does not support automatic deprovisioning, and is only possible if AD/LDAP sync is enabled.

For environments where AD/LDAP is not possible, it would be great if SAML could also automatically deprovision users from Mattermost as well.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Have ability to add granular permissions to bot

Currently when it comes to bot accounts they can only be set up as either a member or as a system admin.

It would be very useful if users can add more granular permissions to the bot accounts, so they can customize it to suit the requirements without making bot account a system admin.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Possibility to see when user was last time online

For example, it will be great to see such information in private messages to the user.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base