General

Please search for existing ideas before posting a new idea.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. End-to-end encryption of mobile notifications

If a user is sending highly sensitive information over a Mattermost deployment, having it traverse Apple's and/or Google's servers unencrypted en route to a mobile device may not be acceptable. At the same time, configuring the server to exclude the message body removes a significant amount of potentially-valuable context from the notification.

The conflict between these concerns could be resolved by having the Mattermost server encrypt mobile notifications with a per-device key prior to submission, and having the mobile app decrypt the notification before presenting it to the user.

This can be done on iOS with a Notification Service Extension: …

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Mattermost Enterprise Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. File Archieving Feature

I suggest to have a file archieving service that will move old files to an archive repository.
    If the user tries to access an archieved file, the server must be clever enough to recover that file from the archive repository.

- Archive repository could be cloud server or a NAS with FTP service.
    - Upload files to archive repository whenever the file repository is full or the files are too old(set by the admin. I think 1 month old is enough).
    - Download files from archive repository will be slower. That’s fine this is an economical solution.
    - Archive repository…

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Hide the SMTP server password from system console

The system console shows the SMTP server password in clear. No other application/website with sane defaults does that. Some offer a button next to the password field to reveal the password temporarily, so the user can make sure no one is standing next to them who could see the secret.

I actually consider this a bug, but it was rejected as such: https://github.com/mattermost/mattermost-server/issues/10909

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add a file download progress bar

You constantly need to check Explorer to see if file has finished downloaded or not, very bothersome. A progress bar / download indicator will be very helpful.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Separate storage limit per team

I'm hosting a single team installation for 2 local charities (each has their own team). It would be great to be able to set a separate storage limit per team. In small situations like this it's not necessary to run 2 instances of mattermost. but this setup is only manageable if we can specify a limit per team.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Video File Thumbnails

Just like we have tumbnails on pictures. helping us identify what we are looking for without having to open the preview tool.
    It would be great if we could have thumbnails on videos too.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Don't show deactivated ldap users

My organization would like to have the option to not show deactivated users in member lists.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mattermost Enterprise Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Hiding user from User directory

Right now when you click to Add new + icon beside direct message it show you directory where it show all user registered on the server.

So to protect that, a option to hide that directory will be added. To add other user you have type email address of that user from which he registered on your server.

More like whatsapp where you can msg people whome phone number you have.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Private metadata on mobile notifications

My organization is using Mattermost heavily, and we'd like to receive mobile notifications to make it more useful. However, currently Mattermost shares a lot of metadata with Apple's and Google's servers:

https://docs.mattermost.com/mobile/mobile-faq.html#what-post-metadata-is-sent-in-mobile-push-notifications

This is preventing us from enabling notifications.

I'd like to suggest that you treat the Apple and Google push notification services just as a "wake up" signal, without including user ID, team ID, etc. The mobile app would then connect (via TLS) to its server, download any new messages, and generate local notifications based on those.

I recently spoke with someone on the Mattermost team who suggested that…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mattermost App - iPhone, iPad, iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. add a plugin hook for search

If plugins had a hook when someone performs a search, they could customise the search experience, e.g. by querying other systems and offering those results too (maybe as an ephemeral post).

I would love to use mattermost search as our cross-platform search provider...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add an option to hide the menu bar

In the desktop client, it could be useful to have an option to hide the menu bar by default (Signal desktop has this, also an Electron-based app), since it's not used that much in day-to-day usage. It could appear when pressing alt (Signal does this, as well as Firefox). Ideally I'd like the application to be more in-line with Gnome design, using a headerbar, but I realize this would be larger thing, and may not be desirable in a third-party application…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Improve High Availability UI

Some improvements could help administration:

- In the Cluster Status table, highly the node that the user is currently connected to so it's obvious
    - Provide a way to connect directly to the server on the local port to debug that specific server.

Any other ideas for improvement?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mattermost Enterprise Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ability to disable rendering of animated emoji, or to hide posts, to improve performance

The problem I am having is that in some channels when users are using tons of animated emojis, I am seeing my CPU sit at >=30%. If I then switch to a more static channel, the CPU usage drops off the top of the list.

The feature I would love is to either:
    * Have the ability to disable the rendering of animated emojis (or gifs?)
    * Or to have the ability to hide posts

Currently I have to make sure never to leave a heavy animated channel as my active channel.

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Limit number of times animated emoji will loop

When users have their mattermost window open all the time, animated emoji that are endlessly looping can be very distracting and annoying. If they paused after looping a set number of times, it would greatly improve the user experience for me.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Make the text box background match the rest of the dark theme

When in either of the dark themes on the Android app, the text box has a white background which is super jarring. Can we get it matched with the rest of the theme please?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Upload from Nextcloud

I want to mount Nextcloud (via WebDAV) at the time of posting so that I can attach files directly from Nextcloud.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add support for Mattermost Custom URL scheme on macOS

Hello,

MacOS recently added support for custom URL schemes which allows other apps and browsers to open permalinks to content in the native app (rather than in the browser).

The use case would be that when you get an email to a Mattermost permalink, and you click on it in Safari, it'll open in the Mattermost app rather than a new tab in Safari.

The instructions to adopt custom URL schemes can be found here:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/core_app/allowing_apps_and_websites_to_link_to_your_content/defining_a_custom_url_scheme_for_your_app

Thanks a lot for a great product!

Firas

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. IOS/Android local notifications

Use local notifications when the app is running or in background. I know that encrypted push notifications are supported when using the enterprise version, but it would be very handy if the app would support local notifications when running in background or foreground for new messages.
    This creates the ability to use the app without sending data around the world.

101 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Mattermost App - iPhone, iPad, iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. LaTeX equation rendering in mobile app

LaTeX is integrated in a very useful way in the desktop app (Linux and MacOS as far as I can see). However, on iOS as well as Android LaTeX appears as a code snippet. Unfortunately, I cannot offer to contribute this feature myself, but I would highly appreciate equation rendering also in the mobile app.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mattermost App - iPhone, iPad, iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base