General

Please search for existing ideas before posting a new idea.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Mattermost Bulk Export Single / Selected Team

While the current Bulk Export Tool - https://docs.mattermost.com/administration/bulk-export.html#running-the-bulk-export-command - allows backend admins to export all the teams based on the following command:

sudo ./mattermost export bulk /home/user/bulk_data.json --all-teams

It will be great to have the ability to export single / selected team to remove any "inactive" teams when moving / migrating systems around.

The current workaround of removing unwanted teams from the export file is not ideal for instances that have a large number of teams.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mattermost Enterprise Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Cannot copy and/or paste text to mattermost

I am using macOS Mojave and every time I copy some text from a different source (website, text editor) with command C and then try to paste it in a conversation with command V it doesn't work.

Copy and paste only works if I copy paste with the right click of the mouse, which is slower and more uncomfortable

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. autofill/offer #...s that are already in use when creating a #...

when I start typing in a #..., I would like it to autofill with optional #...s that are already in use so I can see if there are like-minded posts and #...s already out there

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. separate latex math mode from syntax highlighting scheme

Currently, as far as I know, the only possibility to use latex math mode is through "highjacking" the syntax highlighting feature of preformatted text. However, I see two problems with this:
    1. This is counter intuitive as this syntax is normally used for another concept.
    2. At the moment, this solution "blocks" the possibility of sharing syntax highlighted latex code, because it seems to overwrite this default behavior of the used library for syntax highlighting.

Thus I recommend two changes:
    1. enable sharing of preformatted latex code through the use of backticks and language identifier tex (also, to be compatible…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add Mumble/Murmur voice integration.

Add Mumble/Murmur voice integration.

Murmur is the server component of Mumble, and is lightweight, with highly configurable options and good encryption and voice quality. I think it could really be a powerful voice integration to consider, as it has an easier to use interface than say, Jitsi. Voice inside mattermost would make it a Discord killer imho.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Implement a higher tier than Teams

Currently within a Mattermost server, the highest tier of organization are Teams. However, Teams are not self-contained, and even if it is configured so that users cannot join other teams/channels, users are still aware of other users outside of their respective Teams and can also communicate with one another.

It could be useful to have another tier above Teams, for example Clients (for servers that serve enterprise clients). Each Client will have its own ID, and within it their respective teams, channels and users. Each Client will be separate from one another, meaning that the users from one Client cannot…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Support embedding a channel in a web page

Collaborative apps would greatly benefit from reusing a robust and mature chat system, instead of reimplementing a shitty one (think Google Meet's side chat). It would be great if Mattermost could allow an existing channel (or a newly-created one) to be embedded inside an iframe that communicates with the host window e.g. via postMessage or similar mechanism.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Integration with Miro collaborative whiteboarding

Miro (https://miro.com/) is a collaborative whiteboarding system popular with (interaction) designers but also used in research and strategy planning.

Microsoft Teams allows the following events from Miro to be shown:

• invitees sign up

• board is shared with you

• there's a new comment or a reply to your comment on a board

• someone @mentions you in a comment or reply.

Source: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017572514-Microsoft-Teams

It would be nice to have a similar integration in Mattermost.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Make team tabs optional

The new wide tab bar steals useful screen real estate, introduces visual redundancy to our single-server setup (team name mentioned twice within a really small area of UI), and makes the app look even less at home on macOS. The old top of the window bar at least looked native. Please consider making the tab bar optional at least in single-server environments.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Phone App - Log in to a specific channel

Allow users to pick which channel is their default log in. Instead of only choosing the baseline server (example: https://chat.collab.cdl.af.mil/) -- allow them to enter the URL and it open up to that channel every time they log in.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mattermost App - iPhone, iPad, iOS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Enable the click on a file link

Clicking on a file:// link does not work for local folders. On Desktop, it doesn't do anything. On Firefox, it opens a blank page.

Apparently, this is intentional as explained by @yuya-oc because:
    - Accepting local resources would allow to execute programs via malicious link
    - There is no situation where an user would want to share their local files without attached files.

In my usecase, we use Nextcloud to sync files within our group. And we have the same letter and path for local files. This is why we often share the file path instead of the file itself,…

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Configure left menu to sort channels according to read/unread messages

I would like to have my channel sorted, and having these with unread messages on top.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mattermost Enterprise Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add Gitea OAuth2 Support

Support Gitea's OAuth2 provider as an authentication source.

Currently, the team edition only supports GitLab as an OAuth2 source. GitLab is pretty heavyweight and many people prefer other software for a variety of reasons.

Gitea (https://gitea.io/en-us/) is a really nice open source, community supported Git server. They recently added support for acting as an OAuth2 provider (see https://docs.gitea.io/en-us/oauth2-provider/ for documentation). It would be great if Mattermost would support Gitea as an OAuth2 provider.

100 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Generic OAuth Provider

Ability to use a generic 3rd party OAuth server for programmatic logins to mattermost server (team edition)

Please see for detailed description:
    https://github.com/mattermost/mattermost-server/issues/14293

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Start Windows application in foreground

Allow Windows app to be started in foreground, instead of being started in tray.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Mattermost - Read Only channel

For the moment, when this option "ExperimentalTownSquareIsReadOnly" is set to true, all the Town Square channels of all the teams become read-only.

It will great to set up this option not globally, but at the team level and not only on the "Town Square" channel but on any public channel.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Expand image previews in Compact Message Display mode

I would like to be able to see a preview of the attached image even if I am in Compact Message Display Mode.
    Currently, even if the Account Settings > Display > Default appearance of image previews is set to Expanded, the image is only displayed as an attachment icon when Account Settings > Display > Message Display is set to Compact. These two settings should work independently of each other.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base