General

Please search for existing ideas before posting a new idea.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add more colors of notification dots, and let users set a color for each channel

This will make MM much less distracting since it's easier to ignore chatter on "less important" channels.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create a "New User Approval" process

For accepting new users on a Mattermost system, there is no middle ground between "open system" and "invite only".

We were opening our Mattermost Team edition to interested people, and are now weeding out fake accounts manually. This could be prevented if we had an "approve new user" button for system admins.

Bonus: a configurable login page with custom text would give potential visitors a better idea about wether they should want to join this server. "You are about to sign up for the full-contact deep-sea chess entousiasts chat. Are you sure?"

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. load to my last message

The idea is to have a link, "load to my last message", right beside "Load more messages", the goal of it is to "load all chat messages up to the last time I talked in that channel", this way rather than seeing messages backwards, I can just click it and read the channel in order from the time I left it. Seems like a rather simple addition.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Prevent non-admin users to rename channels

I'm aware of your business model and I'm fine with an advanced permissions system in the paid edition. I'm also aware that you carefully thought through the channel management for basic users (see https://github.com/mattermost/platform/issues/1764) and think it's a good way of approaching things.

But please, consider removing the ability for every one to rename channels. This is not useful, doesn't really make sense and more importantly leaves the ability for anyone to ruin a setup (prank or sabotage). It also gives a feeling of totally uncontrolled environment for these users.

This small feature makes me question the entire usage…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Daily / weekly email digests

I know it sounds like the “email batching” feature added in Mattermost 3.4 <https://mattermost.uservoice.com/forums/306457-general/suggestions/12903204-allow-email-batching-limiting>

… but for non-professionnal environnement, a daily, weekly, or even 15 days or monthly “digests” of notifications and/or channels activities would be very useful. Even with one hour batches, members deactivates their notifications when they can't work everyday for the team.

“Slow projects” don't need immediate responses, and a moderate usage of notifications would be appreciated.

In some circonstances, a good (slow) timing of reminder could even drive members' involvement (e.g. for those who takes a few hours per week for a project).

This…

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add Phabricator OAuth2 support

Allow for Phabricator's OAuth2 provider as an auth source.

Currently, the Team Edition only supports GitLab as an auth source, and this is a bit limiting, as some organisations such as mine need a bit more than what GitLab offers and have based their development processes on Phabricator.

We have an internal project ongoing to migrate from our private IRC server for communication to Mattermost or similar. Currently, MM is by far the most interesting solution out there, but the lack of more extensible/less tied to GitLab OAuth2 support is probably becoming a blocker.

We could probably feed the necessary…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Strip markdown from browser notifications

Currently all my browser notifications contain markdown syntax. Since the browser (and desktop) notifications don't support markdown this leads to pretty much unreadable notifications, especially when used with one of the numerous integrations that for example post Github notifications into Mattermost containg links to commits and PRs or avatar images of the author. While it looks very pretty in Mattermost it makes browser/desktop notifications almost unusable.

The solution to this would be to just strip all messages of the contained markdown (e.g. links/images) before they are being forwarded to the browser/os to be displayed as a notification.

I couldn't find…

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add actual permanent deletion - on database AND filesystem level

It would be really, really cool, if one would be able to delete content permanently.

The problem is that currently the mattermost installation will grow indefinitely.

The idea is to allow system admins (or "./platform"-access) to clean storage and database.
    Selectively: delete all "deleted" files, delete all "deleted" messages.

Currently you can delete users and teams permanently.
    (leaving their filesystem stuff)
    Which basically just needs some little extension.

Also add some information for sysadmins on how much filesystem storage is currently in use (+used by deleted files) and add an option that warns sysadmins if the set number of GB…

74 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Disable highlighting of own messages

When chatting, the own messages are currently highlighted (grey background) which is a little bit confusing in my opinion. It would be create to either disable that, turn it the other way around or make it configurable

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. support for session cookies

From a security perspective, as the administrator of a Mattermost server i would like to be able to set a system-wide property to force the use of session-cookies for the web interface. Since computers can be shared i find it undesirable that you're automatically logged in again as is the case currently.
    But i guess in the end you'll also get users complaining that they want the end user to be able to choose. So i guess the ultimate solution would be a property for session cookies that you can set to 'force' (user is not able to choose), 'optional'…

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Unread posts in the API

I want to use the API to check if I have unread posts, but it doesn't seem the API contains such a counter. It contains a msg_count and a mention_cout, but not the counter I want.
    There is still a possible hack:
    For each channel in a team:

* Get the timestamp of the last visit

* Get the posts created after that timestamp
    * Count them

Besides the fact that it's insanely complex compared to a simple yet handy counter in the API, it involves that we have to fetch the content of all the unread posts, which…

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Give an option to make team invite links one-time-use

Give an option to make team invite links one-time-use. Reusable invite links (especially ones that aren't auto-regenerated at any point) leaves too much opportunity for unauthorized signups

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. view or copy source of a message

It would be really useful to reuse markdown messages.

Currently, Users can see raw message only when markdown is disabled.
    And they can only copy their own messages.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 196 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Create a "already used tags" drop down menu when typing # , based on the already used hashtags

To preserve or moderate a given thread , theme or channel, tagging them makes the search much easier afterwards. But to make sure, that the given hashtags will be the same (tag cloud?), by typing # a dropdown should show up with already used tags. Behavior could be the same lile with @ or :(for smileys!).

128 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Create a wizz button, like the old MSN chat

Like the old school MSN chat, it will be nice to add a wizz button or slash command or something else ... ?, meaning we need you to pay more attention to our post, that could be triggered a move on the windows for desktop app, and/or a new notification message.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Create an ARM build pathway

Right now there's no approved way to do mattermost on ARM. I think ti'd be a great idea to fix that, and I'm working on fixing it myself. If I get a definitive result, I will post it in the regular forums and/or submit a pull request.

223 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    18 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Order DM and Members list by online indicator

1. Member list (popup box) in the header

2. Direct Messages list

3. If you can change order by in this lists to order first by online status, then second by name, then it could be more useful.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Let admins allow anonymous posts / anonymous channels

A setting that allows users to make anonymous posts. Or that forces all posts in a given channel to be anonymous.

On a trusted server, this gives users a safe place to make anonymous statements.

Similar to the "Anonymous posting" feature of Discourse: https://www.discourse.org/about/

> Enable anonymous posting mode and your users can easily switch to anonymous mode to post about controversial, dangerous, or political issues without fear.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Mattermost Team Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base